JellyPages.com

New Back ground

Daily Journey

My journey through my day and my life with its andotes and life lessons of the day. The gifts and blessing of those people the Lord has surrounded me with along with the many treasure's He has left for me to open and enjoy along the way. My walk with my Lord and Savior, Prayers, Work, Play. Pictures of the gifts and blessing. My journey through life and how it has strengthened, blessed me or............

Blog Awards

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Grandma's Apron



Gods love beaming down

I was reading some of the blogs I follow and was doing a little R&R since I have been so busy lately with such a full plate of work. Taking time and just reflecting on what is written and posted whether the written word or pictures. For they just bless me in so many ways. They just seem to reflect Gods precious love.  I love to think about what the Lord is saying through each one. I find them refreshing and just another way of Gods love pouring out over us through others insight and their life experiences. Each one seems to reach out to me in one way or another. I read many but I only go back to a few daily when they post. As I'm sure we all have our favorites, I know I do! 
This one I read today I just recently found. I have been reading and following her as she has really touched my heart with her blog. My heart is ministered too in so many ways. She has such a comforting effect through her typed words and pictures as well as the lovely music that soothingly playing on her site. The one I read today on her blog was about her mom and her iron collection the memories of childhood. I just found myself transport in time. I was reflecting myself and remembering my lovely childhood memories. Funny that has been going on allot lately with me. Wonder what God is up to?  

Gods love

So I got to thinking about my grandma and her ironing then of course mom and me. So I thought about this poem that was shared with me so many moons ago. Which actually has nothing but... everything to do with days gone by. It holds many cherished thoughts and memories for me as well. As I so remember grandma's apron and my mothers. Which she still wears to this day. I remember making my first apron in Home E. Which I can say I never liked and needless to say my apron was quite the project that took me all semester. Which I'm sure broke my moms heart as none of her daughters seemed much interested in anything to do with Home E. 
So I thought with the refection of the afternoon I would share this poem as it seems to be the theme of the day. I don't know who wrote it but I posted the information I do have on it. I have had a copy of this around in my many collections of wisdom and poems that I have tucked away. 
As well I have link to the wonderful blog that has so touched my heart, thank you to her and her sharing her beautiful life of Gods love. 
With A Grateful Heart

apron clipartGrandma's Apron
I don't think our kids know what an apron is.
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears…
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.
And when the weather was cold grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.
After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men-folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.
REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.
Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.
They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.
I never caught anything from an apron…But Love. (Author Unknown)
NOTE: This poem Grandma's Apron is often listed as "Author Unknown" but the original version was written by Tina Trivett. Take a look at the original poem:

Where I found the clip art.
What memories do you hold dear and cherish from your childhood?

No comments: